How to Share Access to a Google Document with Others
Step-by-step instructions on how to share something from your Google Drive with another person.
You can share out access to a Google file or folder either with a web link or by using the Gmail/Google Docs email address of the person you wish to share access with.
Sharing a file with an email address or mailing list from your Google Docs/ Drive list
- Go to drive.google.com and log in. (Same as going to the old Google Docs, just a new name)
- Check the box next to the file or folder you'd like to share by clicking on the icon to the left of each..
- Click the Share icon . OR…… Right click on the file(s) OR...
- Click the More menu and select "Share..."
- Click Advanced at the bottom right of the window that pops up.
- Under “Who Has Access” find and click the word “CHANGE” next to the option: “Private only the people listed below have access” and a 2nd pop up will appear.
- Now choose a visibility option "Anyone with the link" or "Public on the web." to share with everyone in the world or "Private," to remove the link sharing option.
- Next choose what rights to give such as “Can Edit” so they can make changes, “Can Comment” to suggest changes, or “Can View” to only read and the FILE and MAKE a COPY to use their own copy.
- Click save and it will go back to the prior screen with a weblink at the top. This is the link you will need to copy to use in an email or website to provide access via a weblink for those who do NOT have a Google Docs accounts
- If the person(s) does have a Google Docs account, then just type the email addresses of the people you want to share with in the text box below "Add people." You can add a single person, a mailing list, or choose from your contacts.
- Choose the access level from the drop-down menu next to each collaborator: "Can view," "Can comment" (Google documents and presentations only), or "Can edit."
- Click Share & save.